It’s not easy deciding to take the leap of faith, the question of when is the right time to start your freelance career or business maybe on your mind. So check this out.
So I spoke to a jam packed room at the national freelancers day conference yesterday on a subject that we all have to battle with – setting your fees. If you didn’t get a chance to attend, check out this brief overview.
We all have that negative inner voice trying to throw us off our mission, but how do you manage it to push past and achieve your goals?…
In life we all face challenges but its how we deal with them that counts, check out this short motivational video on how to manage these times and bounce back.
Sometimes we feel like we have to fit in and change who we are to progress, I felt like that once, but forget fitting in be you – check out my latest video, don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe rebels.
Running your own business, working out your next career move and managing life in general can be overwhelming. Check out some tips on being resilient.
With so much going on in life with work, and personal circumstances, it’s really important that you protect your energy, but how do you do this? check this out…
Whether you work for yourself, or work for an employer, we all face overwhelm. With so many of us chasing our dreams how do we cope with overwhelm and avoid burnout Check this out.
We all know that a key part of the customer cycle is awareness, how will your clients know about your awesomeness? Are you ready to blow up your profile & profits with PR?
Ebony Gayle Communications has been helping clients blow up their profile and profits successfully for years, providing strategic advice and securing coverage on BBC, ITV, SKY, Forbes, Guardian, Telegraph, Evening Standard, Independent, Daily Mail and a host of national, regional, online and international news media outlets!
With over 15 years in the business, Ebony know’s what it means for your business to be featured in the media and the massive impact it can have on your business overnight. One of her clients that she launched recently report record sales of £5million! Do you want to catapult your profile and profits as they did? Click on the below image to access her free webinar and the publicity plan of attack freebie.
If you’re fed up of the 9-5 working life or feeling stuck in your job, or maybe you want to get paid for what you’re truly passionate about, a great way to do this is to become a consultant! As a consultant you are your own boss and therefore you have more control over who you work with and importantly when and where you work.
If you’re serious about becoming a freelancer you should ask yourself why? knowing your reason why will help to focus your mind and help drive you forward. Are you thinking of freelancing for work life balance, to spend more time doing other things you love, or is it because you’re peed off with your boss?
I’ve been in the peed off position –dealing with depression due to my employer being unreasonable around childcare.. I wanted out for my sanity and so handed in my notice without a job but I did have a plan!
If you’d like to know more check out this online course. I’ve been a successful consultant since the end of 2013 so I’m sharing my insight and providing guidance on setting up and building a sustainable career. All for a bargain at just £19.99. Or grab the book on Amazon for £5.99.
Click on image below to sign up
Latest vlog on setting your goals for the New Year. Check it out and let me know what your plans are below.
Subscribe to the channel and share with your friends on their journey.
Blogging can be big business, there are many people I know that are profiting nicely from their blogs, particularly if it’s on a niche subject. If you are tempted to go into an already saturated market like beauty or fashion you still can do well but you’ll need to work hard to make your mark and build your following. Blogging provides a great way to earn passive income and is something you can do whilst working your 9-5 that you’ll eventually leave if you do it right and really commit to the process consistently. So yes if done correctly, blogging can bring in enough money to overtake your wage!
So where do you start? Here are 5 tips to get you started:
1. The topic of choice – Decide on a topic you’re passionate about, don’t be driven by money on this. For your blog to be a success you’ll be investing lots of time producing content so you have to enjoy the topic. As the saying goes do something you love and it won’t feel like a job!
2. Set up a website – you’ll obviously need a website to blog. There are many platforms that provide these services. There a few ways to go about setting up your website. You can purchase the site domain name and domain hosting together or separately. If you’re not ready just yet to set up your site and but you have a great name for it you can purchase the domain name from 123 reg or Go Daddy to secure it. Once you’re ready to set up your blog site you might find that choosing the best web hosting platform and website builder can be a bit of a mind field of confusion. But I’ve shed some light on this. Long story short, my top three recommendations are WordPress, WP engine, HostGator – to find out my reasons why and to weigh up the pros and cons read this here.
3. Consistent content – you’ll need fresh and consistent content to upload to your blog, include videos and images to bring your blogs to life. Look at similar blogs in your chosen area and think about how yours can be different and build on that. Be honest with your content If you’re reviewing products be authentic your readers will appreciate it.
4. Research companies & PRs –If you plan to blog about makeup, for example, you’ll be interested in checking out new products. PR consultants and agencies are looking to secure coverage for their clients and you can give them that coverage. So be sure to drop an introductory email to PR contact responsible for looking after products and service that are relevant to your blog. Note that they’ll want to know your visitor stats etc. If you have a solid following you’ll get lots of freebies to review be sure to say that you are reviewing so your readers are clear.
5. Social media – Use social media, there’s no point having a great blog if no one knows about it. Make use of your social media platforms to help build your blog following and do make the most of relevant hashtags # for both your chosen topic and the blogging community e.g. #bloggerRTs. There are sites dedicated to helping promote bloggers, use everything relevant that’s at your disposal.
Finally, go for it, enjoy the process and be patient with yourself, it won’t happen overnight but with dedication and graft you can make a success of it!
Checkout these 5 tips to get your consultancy career started!
You can grab How to become a consultant here:https://amzn.to/2P6soTt
Starting out on your own as a consultant may conjure up a plethora of feelings, from being scared about the risks and uncertainty to feeling excited and empowered to be taking control of your own life balance and destiny. Not to mention the uncapped earning potential. You’re bound to feel like you’re on an emotional rollercoaster as you embark on a new chapter in your life, stepping outside of your comfort zone and regular routine.
Whether you plan to consult in business or personal services we all, at times, can face similar issues in getting established on this new journey into consultancy.
Here are 5 tips to getting your career as a consultant started:
- Expert knowledge – if you are going to be a consultant, firstly ensure that you have the skills and knowledge in the sector you plan to consult in. Avoid offering services you are not fully proficient or confident in. Yes, it’s important to sell yourself and your expert skills but be careful not to bite of more than you can chew and commit to keeping your skills and knowledge refreshed and up to date.
- Believe in yourself – You’ve made the decision or are thinking of making this career change, it’s super important to learn how to be your own cheerleader. Working for yourself is gratifying and rewarding, but can also be very challenging, you have to keep yourself motivated throughout it all. Positive can-do attitude alongside working hard is key. Our minds have a habit of finding fault with ourselves, so we have to reprogram and train our minds to tune out the doubtful little voice in our heads!
- Get organised –now is the time to get yourself organised. You need to set up your business, make the decision on how you plan to trade, Ltd or solo. You have to register the business, set up banking facilities, register with HMRC as self-employed, set your goals and objectives. Set up contracts for clients and of course set your fees for client billing, get networking for new clients. There’s lots to do, it might sound exhausting, but doesn’t have to be. This calls for a calm diligent approach and a can-do mind set.
- Understand your finances – as a consultant working self-employed you will be responsible for your finances, so don’t forget to put money aside for a rainy day and for those important National Insurance and tax payments when HMRC deadlines roll around. There are some great apps to log receipts and expenses as well as trusty excel spreadsheets which makes it easier for tax purposes.
- Be Consistent & diligent– Be consistent in your approach to work and your work life balance. Starting out takes time, commitment and consistency, you might not get your first or fifth client contract, now is not the time to take your foot of the peddle, or to take time to feel sorry for yourself. Persevere and things will fall into place. Be prepared, do research your sector, your competitors and most certainly do look for potential clients that you would like to work with.
If you’re thinking about exploring more options like starting your own business check out the free guide.
Want to know more? grab my book How To Become A Consultant; A Guide To Free Yourself From The 9-5’. Available from Amazon, iBook, Google Play, Barnes & Noble and other online platforms.
This article was written for and published in New Business Magazine – May 2018.
As a straight talker I’ll happily share that, most of the time when someone mentions starting an online business there’s a catch, they’re trying to sell you something, or get you to sign up to their program, be it a coaching program or a network marketing program where you sell other people’s products and the list goes on.
I’ve been to lots of seminars and events where you have a coach saying the best online business is to become a coach and of course they are selling coaching courses. Have a look around YouTube and you’ll find lots of people talking about starting an Amazon FBA business and it just so happens that they have a course you can purchase.
Don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with any of this, I have written and published a book and I am selling a course, but I won’t tell you that it’s the only way to become successful in business. My DIY PR course is about adding skills to your amour and my book is about taking your current skills and using them to consultant – where you can work from home and choose the hours you work, like I do.
The truth of the matter is for you to have a successful online business that you enjoy, it needs to be something you are passionate about. An online business that you will happily, and willingly commit to, and show up for on a daily basis. There is no quick scheme or magic pill to take that will result in you waking up to a thriving business and your bank account overflowing with money. So really you have to look within and be honest with yourself. Why? Because as corny as it may sound, YOU my friend have the answers inside, only you can identify what interests you, your passions, the thing you’ve always wanted to do but been to scared, or the what you enjoy doing that doesn’t feel like work for you.
Remember that you’ll be the one putting in all the work so it needs to be something that genuinely interests and excites you and of course has appeal to your target audience so you can make some money and have financial freedom.
Online business ideas
There are lots of online business models that you can explore, you may already have ideas or perhaps not sure where to start, but you know you don’t want to be where you are now. Go check out my free guide on ‘How to start a profitable online business’ where I suggest 10 online business models and the steps you need to take to get started right away!
Don’t forget if you’re serious about getting your vision off the ground, you can sign up for accountability sessions with me to stay on track! How many times have we said we’ll do something but end up putting it off or talking ourselves out of things? We’re human so yes that does happen, so that’s why accountability is a must and is so critically important, look around…how do you think top athletes and entrepreneurs get to the top of their game.
How’s your life journey panning out? does it feel like you’re stuck in a cycle of just paying bills? Sometimes it can feel like life is happening to us, and we are just watching it all take place. But if we don’t take responsibility for our happiness in life, who will? I believe we can be happy and live on our own terms.
Checkout my latest video on my new YouTube channel appropriately titled ‘9 to 5 work rebels’. Don’t forget to hit the thumps up, subscribe and share if you dare.
Thanks for joining me!
Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. — Izaak Walton
A study earlier this year of 5,000 workers concluded that self-employed people are more successful in their careers and felt happier in their job. * So why don’t more people do it? Is it fear, financial pressures or the lack of know-how?
As a successful consultant myself I can say that its a combination of the above, but with planning and passion, you can free yourself and it doesn’t have to be high risk or a fancy idea. Becoming a consultant can be a simple way to create the life you want by selling what you already do well, on terms that suit you.
I used my expert skills and knowledge having worked in communications, PR and marketing for well over a decade to become a consultant. You too, can enjoy a rewarding career, financial success and that important work life balance by taking this route and using the skills you have.
I felt trapped and depressed in the past in my 9-5 job which is why I decided to set up my own consultancy with just £100. Five years on, I have no regrets, I enjoy the empowerment and challenge of working for myself, and I’m much more happy.
I am keen to share my insights and experience with other people seeking to escape the rat race. My new book ‘How To Become A Consultant: A Guide To Free Yourself From the 9-5’ is a no-nonsense guide which gives practical advice on how to set yourself up as consultant and establish a work routine that fits in with your ideals and lifestyle.
The book covers all aspects of becoming a consultant from identifying your niche and registering yourself as self-employed to planning, establishing your fees and promoting your business.
I share practical information to guide you through the process and as well as insight into my own journey so you can avoid the pitfalls and succeed in your venture!
How to Become a Consultant is the essential guide for anyone who wants to become a consultant.
Available on Amazon, iBook, Google, Barnes & Noble and other online platforms – links below.
With over half of employees unhappy at work 9to5workrebels is on a mission to help these unhappy people find alternative routes so they can find their true passion.
It’s not ok that so many of us feel trapped in society, living up to social norms rather than following our hearts and our true passions. We were not born to pay bills, its our responsibility to make ourselves happy and knowing your purpose and doing what you enjoy is an important part of that!
We’re crowdfunding to help to take this platform to the next level, so if you know of any generous investors please share this with them. Nothing ventured nothing gained eh. If we don’t raise the funds we’ll still be pushing through with our plans, just not as quickly.
Please see the link below to our crowdfund campaign.